The Ministry of Women and Child Development is implementing the Centrally Sponsored Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY) under which maternity benefit of ₹5,000/- is being provided in three installments to Pregnant Women & Lactating Mothers (PW&LM) upon fulfillment of certain conditions. The eligible beneficiaries also receive cash incentive as per approved norms towards maternity benefit under the Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY) administered by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare. PW&LM are also entitled for Supplementary Nutrition under Anganwadi Services, which is another Centrally Sponsored Scheme.
Apart from PMMVY and Anganwadi Services, the various schemes run by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India for pregnant women are as follows;
- Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY) implemented under the National Health Mission (NHM), it is a safe motherhood intervention promoting institutional delivery among pregnant women especially with weak socio-economic status i.e. women from Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and Below Poverty Line (BPL) households. Financial assistance under JSY is available to all pregnant women in those States/UTs which have low institutional delivery rates, namely, the states of Assam, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Jammu and Kashmir, Ladakh, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha, Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand which are categorized as Low Performing States. However, in remaining States/UTs where the levels of institutional delivery are satisfactory (categorized as High Performing States), pregnant women from BPL/SC/ST households only are entitled for JSY benefits. For home delivery, financial assistance under JSY is available to pregnant women from BPL households only.
- Janani Shishu Suraksha Karyakram (JSSK) The Government of India launched Janani Shishu Suraksha Karyakaram (JSSK) in June, 2011 to eliminate out-of-pocket expenses for pregnant women delivering in public health institutions and sick infants accessing public health institutions for treatment. The initiative entitles all pregnant women delivering in public health institutions to have absolutely free and no expense delivery, including caesarean section. The entitlements include free drugs, consumables, free diet during stay, free diagnostics and free blood transfusion, if required. This initiative also provides free transport from home to institution, between facilities in case of a referral and drop back home. In 2013, the scheme was expanded to cover all services during antenatal period including care of complications and post-natal period up to 42 days after delivery and also sick infants up to 1 year of age.
- Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan (PMSMA) provides pregnant women free of cost assured and quality Antenatal Care on the 9th day of every month. Since inception, more than 3.02 crore antenatal check-ups have been conducted and 25.46 lac high risk pregnancies have been identified under Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan (PMSMA) across States/ UTs till 04.12.21.
- Surakshit Matratva Ashwasan (SUMAN) aims to provide assured, dignified, respectful and quality healthcare at no cost and zero tolerance for denial of services for every woman and newborn visiting the public health facility to end all preventable maternal and newborn deaths. Till 01.12.2021, 9944 facilities have been notified under Surakshit Matritva Ashwasan (SUMAN).
- LaQshya- aims to improve the quality of care in Labor room and Maternity operation theaters to ensure that pregnant women receive respectful and quality care during delivery and immediate post-partum. Till 01.11.2021, 418 labor rooms and 345 maternity operation theaters are LaQshya National certified.
The funds under PMMVY are released on the basis of indicative number of beneficiaries and utilization of previous years funds. The State/UT-wise details of funds released and number of beneficiaries paid maternity benefits under PMMVY since inception and till 22.11.2021 are Annexed.